10:10 am 347 notes
WHY DO I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DO MATH?!
Hi, friends. This little comic goes with a book proposal I’ve been working on.
Speaking of books, you can buy the books I’ve already made right over here. Buy yourself a book and then get off the computer and go read it outside with all the bugs and creatures and trees and stuff!
10:15 pm 103 notes
George W. Bush National Monument
1:36 pm 50 notes
“I’d totally rescue her if I had a bathing suit on.”
- Mark Austin
“My socks are all wet.”
- smotheredrainbows on tumblr
“So this is what’s left of the polar ice caps.”
- aiminginthedark on tumblr
“Well, I have to fall for this.”
- Timothy J. Reynolds
George and Tom were sad to see them go, but they both knew that releasing the boobies back into the wild was the right thing to do.
Good job everyone! I’ll be getting in touch with the winner and mailing some goodies his way. I’d like to do this again soon, so stay tuned!
5:47 pm 15 notes
TOMORROW is the last day you can send in your captions for the contest!!!!
Hello friends! I am going to try something out here… a New Yorker-style CAPTION CONTEST!
Here are the rules…
- FIRST: write up 1-3 funny captions for the cartoon up above!
- THEN: send them to me along with your name. You can email your caption(s) to me or send them to my ask box right here on tumblr. My email address is phil AT philintheblanks DOT com. If you email your submission, please write “Caption Contest” in the subjext line. That will help me keep track of your entry and prevent it from getting buried in my inbox, which can be a bit of a jungle at times.
- You can enter up to THREE different captions for this cartoon. They don’t have to be dry “New Yorker” style captions, but they can be! I’m really just looking for funny captions. They can be dry, ridiculous, dark, absurd, weird, stupid, sexy… just have fun and try to come up with something genuinely funny.
- I’m not going to make anyone do this, so it isn’t reallllly a rule, but I’d sure appreciate it if, after entering, you posted a link to my website on your tumblr or twitter or blog or facebook or whatever internet social networking site floats your boat.
- The deadline is OCTOBER 31st! End of the month! HALLOWEEN! I’ll be reading through all the entries on November 1st and picking some winners.
- The number one ultra grand prize winner will get a prize in the mail. I’ll share the winning caption and a bunch of honorable mentions right here on my blog.
If this first caption contest goes well and everyone has fun then I will probably start doing this on a semi-regular basis, maybe one a month or something like that.
OKAY! GO! PUT YOUR FUNNY HATS ON!
6:41 pm 31 notes
Here are some Batgirls that I drew way back in 2008.
I’m in Los Angeles right now, laying on a couch and watching Frank play video games. It’s pretty nice!
12:45 pm 67 notes
Another drawing from 2010.
I’ll be in Los Angeles next week for some stuff. See you soon, Los Angeles people!
12:40 pm 39 notes
Drawn a couple years ago in 2010. I’ve probably posted this here before at some point, I’m still very fond of his one.
2:23 pm 46 notes
I hope you didn’t tell anyone about the 24 HOUR SECRET OFFER!
I’ll be stuffing FIVE free mini comics in with all print orders from the store on my website.
ALSO: Any original art orders from the store on my website will also get FIVE FREE MINI COMICS and another custom original drawing for free!
I’m only offering this deal for the next
2410 hours (until the end of the day Sunday) so ORDER NOW!
4:02 pm 47 notes
Gosh, did you know that FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING is being offered for all items in my society6 store through Sunday? It’s true. That includes prints of the image up above.
The disclaimer I post every time I share this image somewhere: I have seen Sonic Youth live and they totally killed it.
3:08 pm 74 notes
One of the first Feral Pizza cartoons from the first mini comic in 2010. I’ve always liked this one a lot.
12:54 pm 42 notes
A little advertisement that’ll go in my upcoming book, which is really starting to come together! Click through the image for a closer look.
Also: please consider treating yourself to some nice things so that I can continue to live in an apartment and buy food. There’s currently FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING on all items in my society6 store through Sunday.
3:42 am 133 notes
12:24 am 20 notes
Sample panels from a big book project with a big publisher that got killed last year. More here.
One of the things I wish someone had told me when I was a student was that as a freelance illustrator/cartoonist you’ll have a lot of really neat projects fall into your lap and you’ll have just as many that seem promising but won’t end up working out. Over the last five years I’ve had editors at four different book/comic publishers, mostly pretty big publishers, approach me about illustrating book projects, both comics and children’s books. A couple of them were even going to be for a series of books. All of them have fallen through for various reasons out of my control. I’ve got a couple book projects in progress now and a few more hopefully on the horizon. But I learned quickly that in this line of work you definitely can’t count your chickens before they hatch. And that’s why I have been extremely secretive about what I’ve been working on aside from my own book for the last year or so.
9:10 am 88 notes
Another blast from the past. Drew this a little over four years ago.